- Alabama Community Leadership Network – Administered by Auburn University’s Economic and Community Development Institute, this network facilitates statewide leadership trainings and holds an annual conference.
- Alabama Grassroots Clearinghouse- Maintained by Auburn University, a frequently updated list of grassroots organizations in the state, with an emphasis on environmental issues
- Auburn University Economic & Community Development Institute – Supporting economic and community growth through a variety of initiatives.
- Arise Citizens’ Policy Project – A coalition of more than 150 religious, community and civic groups that promote state policies to improve the lives of low-income people
- Alabama Coalition Against Hunger – The mission of the Alabama Coalition Against Hunger is to end hunger in the United States of America by supporting access, as a matter of right, to food that ensures health and well being.
- Federation of Child Care Centers of Alabama (FOCAL) – The mission of FOCAL is to measurably improve the lives of children and families in Alabama through child care training, leadership, development, and advocacy.
- Federation of Southern Cooperatives – An association of cooperatives and credit unions involving 25,000 low income families across the rural south.
- Greater Birmingham Ministries (GBM) – A muti-faith and multi-racial organization that serves people, builds community, and pursues justice. GBM is a leading organization for constitutional reform in Alabama.
- Nonprofit Resource Center of Alabama – Provides resources and support for Alabama nonprofit organizations. Also maintains a listing of Alabama nonprofit jobs.
Resources for Community Organizing
- Center for Community Change – D.C.-based organization providing training and advocacy on a variety of issues.
- Center for Third World Organizing – The Center for Third World Organizing is a racial-justice organization led by people of color whose mission is to achieve social and economic justice.
- Highlander Research and Education Center – Supporting organizing and movement building in Appalachia and the South for 75 years.
- Pacific Institute for Community Organization (PICO) – A national network of faith-based community organizations working to engage ordinary people in public life.
- Progressive Technology Project – A national organization focused on helping grassroots groups integrate technology into their efforts. The most useful part of the site is probably the “resources” section.
- The Applied Research Center – A racial justice think tank emphasizing research and activism.
- The Progressive Exchange – An online community organized by M+R Strategic Services’ eCampaigns division as a way to share information among people doing online organizing, advocacy, marketing and fundraising on behalf of the public interest.
- The Virginia Organizing Project – A statewide grassroots organization dedicated to challenging injustice by empowering people in local communities to address issues that affect the quality of their lives.
- Western States Center – Supports organizing around progressive causes in Oregon, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and Alaska.
Resources for Leadership Training
- Kellogg Leadership for Community Change (KLCC) – An initiative of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the KLCC initiative offers training and research on collective leadership.
- Leadership Learning Community - A national organization promoting best practices in leadership development.
- Resources for Evaluating Community Organizing (Alliance for Justice) - An extremely useful set of tools and documents for the evaluation of community organizing and leadership training initiatives.
Resources for Specific Issues and Research
- Center for Law and Social Policy – Washington, D.C.-based group that designs and advocates for solutions to problems facing low-income people.
- Grassroots Policy Project (GPP) - Providing social justice groups with tools and frameworks for more strategic approaches to movement-building.
- MDC, Inc. – This North Carolina based group produces publications and resources and provides support for nonprofits engaging in socially progressive activities.
- NeighborWorks America – Resources for community development and community reinvestment initiatives.
- State Fiscal Analysis Initiative (SFAI) – A network of 31 state organizations working for budget and tax fairness.
Resources for Funding
- Abelard Foundation (East) – Family foundation that provides grants to smaller and newer groups working for community organizing and social change.
- GrantWrangler K-12 School Grants – Great selection of currently updated small grants for people working in schools.
- Needmor Fund – Supports people who work together to change the social, economic, or political conditions which bar their access to participation in a democratic society.
- Philanthropy News Digest – Current listing of selected Requests for Proposals (RFPs) provided by this publication of The Foundation Center.
- RESIST – RESIST funds grassroots groups organizing for peace, economic, social and environmental justice.